Monday, December 13, 2010

Starting Early

Each day Samuel is learning new and fun things in his great big world, but truth be told every day is a new learning day for Mom and Dad too. Ben and I have talked about how we would parent Sam, teach him things and discipline him, but really we are just going at it blind with the help of family, friends and MANY, MANY books. So Ben and I have been really excited to see Sam initiating good hygiene all on his own. Sam now at night seems to walk towards the bathroom in the evening knowing it is time to take his bath. He even seems to have an entire routine down when he gets in the bath it is great to watch. He now takes his toys and lifts them up and over the bar until they fall through and he does it over and over. He laughs every time he accomplishes it and Ben and I smile even bigger. We may also be seeing a little basketball star in the making.
Samuel has also taken to brushing his teeth. About a month ago we decided to buy Sam his own toothbrush (again mom and dad are learning we probably should have done this 5 months ago) since he enjoyed using ours all the time. But now in the morning and at night we give him his toothbrush and he puts it in his mouth and moves it around. Probably not really brushing but its a great start.
The last fun thing Sam can't live without these days is throwing the ball up and down the stairs and then sitting on a stair and bouncing up and down while the ball goes bouncing away from him, it is so fun to see our little man growing into his own, developing a personality and have such an enjoyment for the simple things.
Today marks 7 days until Sam's 1st birthday and we can't believe how blessed our life has become with him in it. I knew becoming a parent would bring with it millions of new experiences, but I never imagined how great it could be. All of my friends that told me to wait to see how it would change me, and that I will not be able to put it in words how I would feel and the love you can have for one person were so right.
Sam picked out his 1st Christmas tree this year, and thankfully he hasn't touched it since.

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed he brushes twice a day!! Ava is lucky if I remember once a day! :) I really am getting better at it, promise. Maybe I should just go brush her teeth right now. Glad you all are doing well!

    ReplyDelete