Sunday, August 15, 2010

First stairs, next Mt. Everest

Samuel loves to climb on everything and this week he mastered climbing stairs. So if you put him down and he can see stairs he is off. It is so funny to watch this little man that thinks he is invinsable. He just goes at the stairs with no fear, and it is really cute to watch his chubby legs bend and push up onto the next stair. Then when he gets to the top stair, he has nothing left to hold onto so he flops his belly and wiggles to the top. Ben and I have spent most of our weekend on the stairs or chasing him around the house. With this attitude we think Sam may take on Mt. Everest next. He seems to be fearless and I think that is pretty normal but it is great to watch, and love him trying new things. As a mother I love watching him explore new places, and seeing his eyes open wide and get very focused on learning everything about what he has found.
Sam excited about going up the stairs, AGAIN!
Sam almost to the top where Homer and Otis (Samuel's target) are waiting.
So, Monday came and Samuel started daycare. Ms. Carol was so great, she really made me feel at ease as much as that was possible. Sam went right to her and really hasn't looked back. Every day I went to get him he seemed really happy, playing with friends/toys or even sitting in Ms. Carol's lap having a bottle. I was worried he wouldn't sleep, wouldn't eat and would be upset when I left, but none of these things happened. He takes his 2 naps every day, eats better at daycare than at home and seems comfortable when Ms. Carol comes to take him. We can also see the changes at home, he crawls better, talks more and seems really tired so starting to sleep even better. I am so glad things went so well, even though a lot of tears were shed by me this week it has been worth it.
While everything with daycare has been great there have been some firsts that were not so good as well. On Wednesday, Ben picked Sam up and just as he got there, they were calling us to let us know Sam had fallen off one of the mats and bumped his head on a toy and had a big egg size welt on his forehead. The ladies said he cried, but was just fine as soon as they picked him up. This is the first of many bumps Sam is going to get, but it was so sad to see our little man with a big bruise on his forehead. Then, on Thursday when I went to get Samuel they told me he had a temperature of 102!! WOW, Sam has never even had a cold and now 102, I was freaked. We got him right into our pediatrician and they confirmed he had a virus, but the bad news was that he just had to tough it out, no meds (how is that possible a drug pusher thought!) While, I never want Sam to be sick I loved how much he wanted to be near me. Ever since he became mobile he has pretty much been Mr. Independent but on Thursday and Friday it was a different story. Sam snuggled up to me all day and night, just like when he was a baby. I was in heaven. I am glad he is feeling better, but I have to admit I liked him having the virus so he would let me hold him for more than a few seconds before he was off to something else. Finally, the pediatrician did weigh Sam and he now weighs 21lbs! My mom had told me she thought he was thinning out, but by the signs of the scale Sam is still our little Chunky Monkey!!
Sam sad and not feeling well, snuggling with Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment